Enjoy these easy and healthy slow cooker recipes!
It never fails to disappoint when I can literally make dinner in half an hour before the girls wake up and come home to a gorgeous smelling home and hot, yummy meal. Done and Done. Why don’t I do this every day?!
Well, in my research for meal planning I found a few sites of women who have done just that! Insanity or genius! Check out 365daysofCrockpot or Stephanie O’Dea’s year of crockpotting. They have fabulous recipes and it’s handy because they tell you what goes wrong and what to avoid. I’m also a big fan of Once A Month Meals where you prepare a bunch of meals, freeze them and then heat them up the night you want them. Well they even do crockpot meals. So you can simply take the frozen meal out of the freezer, thaw the day before in fridge, then throw in crock pot the day of. Now that is some cooking efficiency!!!
Because I’m on a slowcooker afterglow I wanted to share the love. Here are some of my fav recipes taken from some of the greatest women online! Also check out my Pinterest board for all my faves!
Crockpot Lemon Rosemary and Thyme Chicken and Rice Soup
From Whatsfordinner.blogspot.com that she adapted from food.com
9 cups water (3 of the cups I used chicken broth instead of water)
3 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 TBSP fresh minced ginger
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup sweet onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 garlic cloves, minced
one sprig of fresh thyme
one sprig of fresh rosemary
2 lbs chicken breasts
2 1/2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
8 ounces rice, uncooked
Add water, salt, pepper, olive oil, ginger, carrot, onion, celery, garlic, thyme, rosemary, lemon peel, lemon juice, and chicken to a crockpot. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. 30 minutes before serving add uncooked rice to crockpot.
White bean, kale and Sausage Soup
From Saturday Evening Pot
- 1.5 pounds bulk Italian sausage (we use turkey)
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, liquid included
- 2 14.5-ounce cans Bush’s white beans, drained
- 5 to 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 5 cups kale greens, chopped
- Brown turkey and garlic together and drain excess grease.
- Place in large 5 to 6-quart crock-pot.
- Add beans and tomatoes.
- Add chicken broth until completely covered by at least a half inch. Stir thoroughly.
- Add kale and fold in until kale is completely moist. Cook on low approximately 6 to 6.5 hours or until kale is tender. Makes approximately 8-10 servings.
Mango BBQ Chicken
• 3-4 Boneless chicken breasts and/or thighs
• 1 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (look for one that DOES NOT have tons of sugar…beware of BBQ sauce)
• 1/4 cup no salt chicken broth
• 2 fresh mangoes, cubed or package of frozen mangos
Place the chicken in, top it with your cubed mango, add your BBQ Sauce, and then the chicken broth. Then cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. When it’s done, simply grab two forks and tear it up – my favorite part. The chicken should more than easily come apart super easy.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
1 can (14.5 oz) organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (11 oz) of whole kernel corn and red and green peppers, drained
1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 cups tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
1/2 cup sour cream
- Spray 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook 4 minutes, turning once, until browned on both sides. Place chicken in slow cooker. Add water, broth, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, cumin and chili powder.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from slow cooker to plate; shred using 2 forks. Return chicken to slow cooker. Stir in cilantro. Cover; cook 30 minutes longer. Top each serving with 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips and 1 tablespoon sour cream.
Do it. Make one of these! Do something wonderful for you and your fam!! Hugs!!